Sunday, July 29, 2012

Some Vintage School Chairs

I think one of the reasons I love old stuff so much is from spending so much time in my Grandma's house growing up. Her house was full of beautiful old furniture that had been a part of her family for much much longer than I could ever remember. Other than a couple recliners (they're actually pretty comfortable - haha), the furniture never changed. She had a house full of it and there was no need for more or less.

Well, I may be changing the furniture in my house all the time, but I do find myself gravitating towards pieces that remind me of her house. And since she passed away seven short years ago (it seriously feels like I just saw her last week and oh shoot, I made myself tear up writing this.)

Anyway, it came as no surprise that when I saw these adorable children's chairs at the Restore, I had to have them. Even if Ruby was showing no interest in them (she was finding the bigger chairs more appealing) and I had no idea the cost (can you believe I got three chairs for $9 total!). 

After my little schoolhouse photo shoot (that's our dining room wall painted in chalkboard paint), I snapped a photo of the maker's mark. I did some quick googling on this when I got them a couple weeks ago and found that Hammett's was originally opened in 1863 (by J.L. Hammett) as a small educational supply store in Rhode Island. 

Oh course, I have no idea how old these chairs are but perhaps the assembly of them could give a furniture expert some insight. 

Looks pretty sturdy doesn't it? I don't know that they make furniture this steady anymore or at least this heavy duty. 

It certainly beat this chair that I made for Ruby (it was my very first project with wood and I did it by myself while a few months pregnant with Archer) which has bowed legs and about a thousand screws in it. We did end up cutting the extra on the tops off but I never actually gave it a good sanding or paint.

So not only is this new/old chair from the Restore better made (they're actually really sturdy), but it really looks so much nicer (you know I love the old vintage-y look) and they were actually cheaper and less time-consuming as the chair that I made.

It has little indents on the seat instead of a flat hard surface and have even been repaired in a few places (between the three chairs) which I love because it shows that someone cared for these chairs.

I'm moving the chairs up to Ruby's room for now. We're slowly working on making both her and Archer's rooms more functional so maybe I'll have something on those rooms in the future.

Any weekend thrifting going on? I actually picked up a dresser this weekend that has found a perfect home in our house and should have pictures on that soon. Any other DIYing projects going on. Aaron and I feel that our house taking two steps forward and one step backward all the time. All the DIY projects are awesome but we've also got to continue working on tackling the clutter and get organized.

9 comments:

  1. the way they made everything back then, was made to last!...and it did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, other than a couple new screws and one dowel rod they're just same

      Delete
  2. How cute! Do you remember the old school desks I used to have when you all were kids?? They had the desk top attached and storage underneath the seat--not quite this old, probably from 20's-30's?? We used to play school with them when I was a kid and then mom gave them to me later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And funny you mention that because they were sitting in the upstairs hall last night and when I saw them out of the corner of my eye, it was like I was seeing them with a miniature desk attached too! Sounds weird but I was thinking of those desks in that moment!

      Delete
  3. Those chairs are great! Any plans to refinish them in the future?

    I didn't hit up any thrift stores over the weekend like I had planned since a friend told me about Goodwill's first Saturday of the month deal where everything is 50% off! I'm not sure if it's a local thing (she's in Tennessee) or nation-wide but I'm holding out until this weekend haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm too lazy to refinish the right now...lol and I did actually like them.

      Thanks for the goodwill tip!

      Delete
  4. Ooooo I love those! Just imagine the history behind them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know wouldn't it be so neat to see how those little school kids were dressed how ever many years ago it was that they sat in these chairs for the first time?!?!

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely article and finished product!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you've got something you want to say or ask or anything at all (obviously within reason), leave me a note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...